Friday, April 10, 2009

Estoy practicando mi espanol

Two nights ago I was flipping channels and saw that the Sex and the City movie was on HBOLatino and thought that watching it in spanish might be more entertaining, as the movie was a bit of a let down. Turns out my spanish isn't that great so I put the captions on. It was awesome except I got bored with the movie pretty quickly. Turns out the movie sucks no matter what language it's in. I've seen the movie twice and that is my limit although I can't even count how many reruns of the tv episodes I've seen over and over again without getting tired of them.

Now I'm trying it with Almost Famous and it's much better. I've seen that movie a million times and still love it! I think this was the movie that got Kate Hudson recognition for being such a great actress. I can't understand why every single movie she has done since has been stupid fluff. Yes, How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days is entertaining and a great movie, but dumb nonetheless, especially when compared to Almost Famous.



Last Tuesday I saw Flight of the Conchords in Tampa. It was the first show of their tour so they were noticably disorganized and kept chastizing the audience for yelling out song requests and witty comments. I don't blame the audience, Brett and Jemaine had too much down-time on stage. Their last encore song was Angels Doing It. I didn't really think it was that great when I saw it in the episode, but it was awesome live! Their voices harmonized so well and they have so much energy.
Here is a link to a live recording that someone else took a different show, but it's still better than the studio-produced version. The best part is at the end where they start ha-ha-haing. I don't know what it's called, but it's great. I took some pictures at the show but am too lazy right now to hook up my camera.



A while ago I went to a local NOW meeting in an effort to meet more girls my age since most of my friends have moved away after graduating college. I realized I am not passionate enough about certain feminist issues to actually write letters to my Representative or poll people on the street. I'm still on their list-serve and found out their "feminist book club" is reading Animal Dreams by Barbara Kingsolver, my favorite author!! I have read that book at least 5 times already and will start it again this weekend in order to freshen up the details for the discussion. I'm so excited! I would never in a million years pick this book for it's pro-feminist qualities. You'd think that would be the main theme for books in this club, but I guess I will find out at the meeting.

No comments: