Saturday, June 27, 2009

Boston

A couple of weeks ago I decided to visit my friend, Ana, in Boston.
I was getting a bit tired of Gainesville and wanted to see an old friend, eat some good food and experience weather cooler than 90 F.
I saw this on a building as we were walking to the Southend Farmer's Market. I had to take a picture for Jason because he loves the movie, Good Will Hunting. If you can't read the photo, it says "How you like them apples?" which is the main phrase I remember from the movie. there's some weird bowl (?) in the middle of the graffiti with "thee" (again?) thrown in there. Not really sure...

The first night, we ate at an Iranian restaurant in Cambridge. I had rice with barberries, orange peel and something else that sounded awesome with a chicken kabob on top. The barberries were good. I was worried they'd be like cranberries, but they were smaller and sweeter. Ana had lamb with a pomegranate/walnut sauce, which was also very good. The next day we had lunch after our shift at the place she volunteers every week: Community Servings. This organization is so inspiring. They prepare meals for people with AIDS and other diseases who are homebound and can't cook for themselves. That night we had dinner at Ana's friend's house, potluck style, and I met a lot of great people. The next day we had dim sum in Chinatown, which is the photo above. I love dim sum so much, it's ridiculous. That night we went back to Chinatown for a family dinner with Ana's extended family in Boston. I was excited because I've never had a meal like that before. There must have been 9 courses: soup, an entire fish, an entire chicken, a huge plate of lobster, a seafood mix served in a taro bread ring, sauteed greens, snap beans with beef, something that i can't remember and finished up with red bean soup for dessert.
While in Chinatown, we stopped in a grocery store to pick up candies and I was amazed when I saw their seafood section. I grew up in South Florida, I know what lobsters in a tank look like. But I've never seen a fish aquarium with live fish swimming around right underneath the iced dead fish on display!@!!! what the heck? It was cool but when I thought about it too long, it creeped me out a tiny bit.

After that, we headed over to Boston Commons and crossed over into this park, that I don't know the name of. I saw the duck statue and had to get a picture of me on it. This is when my quest to take pictures on top of bronze animals became official.
The ducks reminded me too much of this photo taken two (three?) years ago on my last trip to Boston. I took it because my friend and I were on a historic tour following a red line around the city and I got distracted when I saw this donkey. I knew i needed a photo on it! It was much easier to sit on than the duck, but I guess that should be obvious. It's funny b/c my hair now is the same length as it was back then, but I've had it much shorter in the meantime.
These are some plants that were in the same park as the ducks. I don't know what they are, but they were gigantic! While in Boston, we also hit up the Cambridge River Festival and some shopping along Newbury Street and downtown. The temperature never really went above 70 and it was awesome!

No comments: